What is the Celebration of Student Achievement?
This is a month-long showcase for student scholarly and creative work, providing an opportunity for students to share their work with TCNJ’s community. During the Main Event on Wednesday, May 5, 2021, students will present their work virtually in papers, posters, video, panels, and other forms of scholarly or creative activity.
Main Event: Wednesday, May 5, 2021
24th Annual Celebration of Student Achievement
Featuring Research, Scholarship and Creative Activity
What kind of student work will be presented at the Main Event?
The Celebration is appropriate for significant work that results from deep engagement in the scholarly or creative process. For the most part, students will be presenting work that they have already prepared or presented for another purpose such as Independent Research, a Senior Design, Thesis, or Capstone course, a conference presentation, or some other outstanding scholarly/creative experience. In many cases, this will be work done in collaboration with a faculty mentor, but the student must be the primary author and presenter of the work at the Celebration.
Types of possible presentations include:
- Zoom Presentation. (15 minutes plus 5 minutes for questions). Presenters can submit any of the below types of presentations to go along with their Zoom session.
- Panel. (15 minutes plus 5 minutes for questions). Student presenters and their faculty sponsors may ask that projects be grouped into panels by theme or issue. Panels may represent a single discipline or be interdisciplinary.
- Poster. A scholarly presentation in a visual format (36×54″). Posters should be submitted as a .PDF.
- Paper. Scholarly research presented as a paper. Papers should be submitted as a .PDF.
- Video. (15 minutes) Pre-recorded video about the presenter’s work. Videos should be submitted as a YouTube or equivalent link.
- Audio. (15 minutes) A pre-recorded audio recording about the presenter’s work. Audio recordings should be submitted as a .M4A or .MP3 file.
Where do I go if I have questions about participating?
If you have questions, see your faculty mentor, or view the Celebration FAQ page.
How do I register to participate?
Students should complete the 2021 Celebration of Student Achievement registration form once it is available.
Registration link: https://tcnj.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3HFF845kOF0D3IG
Complete the registration form no later than April 9, 2021.
How should the form be filled out if there is more than one author or presenter?
The first author or presenter should fill out the form and serve as the contact person for the group. The other presenters’ names should be listed in a later question in the form.
How do I make an effective poster?
Different disciplines may have their own standards and approaches to creating and presenting posters. Since this year’s event is virtual, please save your poster as a .PDF and submit to email@example.com instead of printing.
What happens if I have special scheduling needs?
If you need to make your presentation at a certain time or are unavailable at specific times, indicate this on your registration form and also let your faculty mentor know.
How will the times and locations for presentations be announced?
A copy of the full schedule for the Main Event will be available online by April 28th.
How rigorous is the 20-minute limit on papers and presentations?
Because presentations are scheduled on a 20-minute basis (15 minutes plus 5 minutes for questions and answers), if you take too long, you are taking away time from the students who are scheduled after you. Therefore, please prepare your presentation with the time limit in mind.